A 19-year-old man has died and a second festival goer is on life support following suspected drug overdoses at Sydney’s A State Of Trance event at the weekend.
According to reports, the teenager collapsed on the dance floor during the ASOT 700 celebration at the Sydney Showgrounds and was taken to Concord Hospital where he was tragically pronounced dead.
Five other people were taken to hospital suffering suspected overdoses, including a 20-year-old man who remains in a critical condition at Westmead Hospital.
In a horrifying close call, one attendee accidentally swallowed a bag of pills he was trying to hide in his mouth and was rushed to hospital after informing police what had happened. He was released on Sunday.
Police arrested 40 people for supplying and possessing drugs at the event, including one man who was allegedly caught with 130 ecstasy pills, and another with 98.
Meanwhile, New South Wales Assistant Commissioner Frank Mennilli has seemed to show a complete lack of understanding or compassion given the circumstances, quoted in the Sydney Morning Herald saying, “I just think they are sick of living. They are gambling with their life.”