Los Angeles County Supervisor Hilda Solis plans to introduce a motion at today’s board meeting that would ban major music festivals on county property pending an investigation into the weekend deaths of two women at the HARD Summer at the Pomona fairgrounds.
“I am deeply troubled by the fact that this is the third such death to happen in my district in the last year and a half,” Solis said.
The two women, who were identified Monday as 19-year-old Katie Dix of Camarillo and 18-year-old Tracy Nguyen of West Covina, died of suspected drug overdoses. Autopsies are pending.
The two deaths have sparked new debate about whether authorities are doing enough to prevent drug-related problems at raves.
In 2010, after the EDC incident the county issued a set of recommendations to help concert organizers curb drug-related issues at similar events. County attorneys say they are examining whether concert officials followed contractual terms to ensure the safety of its attendees at the HARD Summer music festival.
Last year, a 19-year-old woman died after attending the same music festival in Whittier Narrows, which is also in Solis’ district.
“I want to provide a safe environment for everyone to enjoy. No one — no one should have to lose their life while attending a public concert,” Solis
said during a news conference on Monday. Solis is expected to make several recommendations, including a zero-tolerance drug policy.